New Year's resolutions ar traditional, but I've never been one to make any. I smoke, I tried the quit smoking one a couple of times and it didn't work. I cuss like a "sea going sailor" as my dad would say, I suppose I could promise to cut back on cussing, but why? It's not like I cuss at inappropriate times or places. I could promise to spend less, except I already do that. I might promise to keep in touch with old friends, but we all know that after time old friends either reciprocate or they don't, it's beyond our control. So in thinking about what I could promise for the New Year I've come up with the following things I will TRY - no promises. Promises sometimes get broken and that can lead to disappointment.
1) I will TRY to smoke less. This is a good one. It can't hurt to try to keep this and I honestly think I can do it.
2) Hidden Sage recommended I take a class of some sort as an avenue to meet people and make friends. It's a good sound idea so I will TRY to follow through. If I can't find something at the community college, then I will at the very least join the book club at the library, since reading is a past time of mine that I have allowed to slip away, and since there will be people there to talk to and perhaps find things in common with. I would love eventually to take a photography course.
3) I am going to really TRY to get out of the house every day for one reason or another. Enough said on this, except that not getting out leads to depression - I'm a firm believer in that.
4) I will TRY to write more. Writing feels good.
5) I am going to TRY to find someway of feeling better about wife #2.
FIVE things to try. It seems like a lot of things at first but after all 2009 has 365 days in it. I don't expect to accomplish all five things in one shot. Number 3 will be the easiest and the hardest will be number 5. But I WILL try. Promise.